Support forums

Please check @brandnewbox_uk for support status updates.

Search     Advanced Search
Importing a JSON feed results in duplicating or erasing grid fields  
Posted: 09 July 2018 07:13 AM —  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2018-07-09

When I import a JSON feed into an entry, the Grid fields in that entry, which should’t be touched at all, get deleted or the content is duplicated.

When I use the option “Delete existing data”, the grid gets emptied, even though there isn’t any date selected to be added to that field.

When I use the option “Append”, the original data of the grid get copied and will be added to the grid, resulting in duplicate rows.

Any idea on how to solve this?

Posted: 09 July 2018 09:40 AM —   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1353
Joined  2006-04-12

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Just to clarify a couple of things:

1) Which versions of EE & DataGrab are you using?

2) Are you trying to import data to other fields in the channel, but NOT to the Grid field (ie, the Grid field is left blank in the import configuration)?

Thanks,
Andrew

Posted: 09 July 2018 09:43 AM —   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2018-07-09
Andrew Weaver - 09 July 2018 09:40 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Just to clarify a couple of things:

1) Which versions of EE & DataGrab are you using?

2) Are you trying to import data to other fields in the channel, but NOT to the Grid field (ie, the Grid field is left blank in the import configuration)?

Thanks,
Andrew

1)
ExpressionEngine 3.5.15
Datagrab 3.0.2 (EE3 version in latest Devot:ee)

2)
I am trying to import a few fields, but the Grid field is indeed left blank in the import configuration.
So the Grid field shouldn’t be touched at all, there are 20 fields in the entry and just 3 are changed…

Posted: 09 July 2018 09:56 AM —   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-12

That’s great - thanks.

I’ll set up a test and see if I can track down the problem.

Just for you information: the EE API does not let you leave fields blank when you update an entry (if you do it empties the field). DataGrab tries to recreate the missing data, but is obviously doing something wrong here.

Andrew

Posted: 09 July 2018 10:22 AM —   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-12

I’ve just tried a test and if I use the “Delete existing data” option, then the data does get deleted.

However, if I try the “Append” option it works for me (I only get the existing data rather than duplicate data you are getting.

I suspect there is something subtly different between my (simple) test and your real import.

Is it possible to send me a copy of the data, and if possible a list of the Grid fields you are using (or if it is easier, access to your Control Panel)?

Thanks,
Andrew
support@brandnewbox.co.uk

Posted: 09 July 2018 10:46 AM —   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2018-07-09
Andrew Weaver - 09 July 2018 10:22 AM

I’ve just tried a test and if I use the “Delete existing data” option, then the data does get deleted.

However, if I try the “Append” option it works for me (I only get the existing data rather than duplicate data you are getting.

I suspect there is something subtly different between my (simple) test and your real import.

Is it possible to send me a copy of the data, and if possible a list of the Grid fields you are using (or if it is easier, access to your Control Panel)?

Thanks,
Andrew
support@brandnewbox.co.uk

I’ve send you a mail!

Posted: 09 July 2018 11:58 AM —   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-12

Thanks - I have just sent an email back (a few emails, actually).

Andrew

‹‹ DataGrab wiping out Store SKU’s on variation products with Multiple SKU’s only leaving the first SKU      Proper syntax for importing dozens of text pairs into one Matrix field? ››

Select A Theme