Support forums

Please check @brandnewbox_uk for support status updates.

Search     Advanced Search
Member Import  
Posted: 24 April 2010 02:49 AM —  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-04-24

Hello, A few months ago I used the AJW Member Import utility and I thought it had gone well except for a few bad records. I have just tried to go live with the site and there is a problem with the passwords. I went looking for the documentation that I thought was in the module section. When I clicked, it was not there. It took me to this site. What i am looking for is this. I can’t remember what happens if one leaves the password field blank. Or, since I can’t recall and can’t recreate this, if I added a default password, what would happen…and if that’s even possible. I hope this makes sense and if not, perhaps I can get the documentation for this.
Many thanks,
Carole Carter

Posted: 24 April 2010 02:25 PM —   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2006-04-12

The module has a few options for setting the password. It can either be from the CSV file as either encrypted or unencrypted, or it can be generated randomly (which would happen if you left the password blank).

If the members all have email addresses then they could use the password recovery mechanism to change their passwords.

I could generate a quick script for you to update all the members passwords if you need it.

Andrew

Posted: 24 April 2010 07:42 PM —   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-04-24
Andrew Weaver - 24 April 2010 12:25 PM

The module has a few options for setting the password. It can either be from the CSV file as either encrypted or unencrypted, or it can be generated randomly (which would happen if you left the password blank).

If the members all have email addresses then they could use the password recovery mechanism to change their passwords.

I could generate a quick script for you to update all the members passwords if you need it.

Andrew

Thank you for your response! I stupidly can’t recreate what I did and am in a bit of a spot as there are about 14000 potential users (probably closer to 5000) and many dod NOT have email addresses. If you could generate a script to update the users passwords that would be amazingly helpful!  I thought I had used the word “password” as the generic password but it doesn’t seem like that’s what I did. If that could be the generated password for all users, that would be great. I think I donated to you after I found this module. I will certainly do so again fi you can do this script. They are breathing down my neck!  :)

Many thanks.
Carole

Posted: 24 April 2010 08:32 PM —   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-12

Hi Carole,

Firstly, make a backup of the database.

The quickest solution would be to go to:

Admin > Utilities > SQL Manager and click on the “Database Query Form” link.

Check the “Enable MySQL Error Output” checkbox and put:

UPDATE exp_members SET password = MD5("password") WHERE group_id = 5

in the textarea.

This will give all members in the default “Members” group the password “password” (unless you have made any changes to the Member groups).

If you need something more complex, or would like me to make the changes for you, email me, and I’ll take a look.

Andrew

Posted: 24 April 2010 08:38 PM —   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-04-24

Andrew,
Wow, and THANK YOU! I was just doing a little research and was reminded of the UPDATE command for mysql. I was *this* close to a solution so that makes me feel good! You confirmed what I was afraid to try. I have several user groups a few of which will be easy to test this on. Then I can go back to the ones that matter most. So, if you have another minute, I just want to clarify. That bit of code, and I’ll probably do this in Phpmyadmin, it wiill reset all passwords for the group id selected to the word password although it will be encrypted. Correct?
Okay, I am off to test this and really thanks for your help. I will get back online after I do this and let you know how it goes and also to hit you paypal button!
Carole

Andrew Weaver - 24 April 2010 06:32 PM

Hi Carole,

Firstly, make a backup of the database.

The quickest solution would be to go to:

Admin > Utilities > SQL Manager and click on the “Database Query Form” link.

Check the “Enable MySQL Error Output” checkbox and put:

UPDATE exp_members SET password = MD5("password") WHERE group_id = 5

in the textarea.

This will give all members in the default “Members” group the password “password” (unless you have made any changes to the Member groups).

If you need something more complex, or would like me to make the changes for you, email me, and I’ll take a look.

Andrew

Posted: 24 April 2010 08:43 PM —   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-12
CCarter - 24 April 2010 06:38 PM

I just want to clarify. That bit of code, and I’ll probably do this in Phpmyadmin, it wiill reset all passwords for the group id selected to the word password although it will be encrypted. Correct?

That’s right. The id=5 selects the appropriate group - 5 is the default Members group, but it sounds like you might a few more. The MD5() encrypts the password.

You could update all password, but it is probably safer to update the groups one at a time.

Posted: 24 April 2010 08:51 PM —   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-04-24
Andrew Weaver - 24 April 2010 06:43 PM
CCarter - 24 April 2010 06:38 PM

I just want to clarify. That bit of code, and I’ll probably do this in Phpmyadmin, it wiill reset all passwords for the group id selected to the word password although it will be encrypted. Correct?

That’s right. The id=5 selects the appropriate group - 5 is the default Members group, but it sounds like you might a few more. The MD5() encrypts the password.

You could update all password, but it is probably safer to update the groups one at a time.

Great and thanks for the confirmation. You are absolutely correct that I will want to do this one group at a time. And in fact, several groups are members who are probably deceased and therefore not in need of a working password :)    it’s an alumni site going back to 1935. I think I’ll start with that group, 1935….  :)
Yup, that’s what I’ll do!
I’ll let you know and as I said, I’ll also donate for your help.

Update existing member data ››

Select A Theme